Sep 25, 2009

Wanting a Time Making Machine...

I can not get over how fast time is going the older I get... 2009 has been racing by, and despite this fleeting year, I can't say I haven't accomplished many things in that time.
The greatest of these accomplishments has been ART Evolved. Not only did it take a lot of effort to setup and organize, now I have to take time to run it, and of course keep producing art for.
My projects have suffered in ART Evolved's wake, but I have still managed to keep Traumador going (who can believe it was 3 years ago both myself and he left the Tyrrell!?!). Sadly my movie creating has hit a critical crisis.

Why do I contemplate all of this? Yesterday marked the end of term 3 of the New Zealand skool year. As of such I'm about to get my last "break" before I leave this country. (I say break in quotation marks as I'll be working a secondary job at a childcare centre throughout the two weeks).
This term was wickedly busy, and has sapped a lot of my energy. Which of course makes focusing hard!
There is a lot of potential directions my limited (and possibly shrinking) creative efforts could go. I'm torn as to where to commit them.

However given the leaps and bounds my Palaeo-art has seen this year, I fully intend on making this my top priority!

This month I've already begun work on this CG Jurassic. Though I have traditionally sought to composite my prehistoric creatures onto photographs, it has been in those pieces where I put in the extra effort to create a fully CG environment that I get the best results. In the future I plan on at least one major entry into the time capsule galleries that is completely CG.


Creating a forest has been surprisingly difficult. I do like the fact the Carrara has a handy plant generator tool, but it still requires a lot of honing and tinkering to get right. I'm very happy with my costume texturing jobs of the trunks and leaves, and the scene is a great deal more realistic with them.


My efforts to build Sauropod inhabitants started with this, my old Mark 2 Sauropod. It hasn't been overly touched since I built it in late 2007 (other than a texturing job in early 2008).

It is not my best effort, but at has served as a good base to start on building a greater Sauropod.


I guess I shouldn't be so hard on the model, as I did produce this great pic for Traumador a little while ago. Despite the old 3D model, I am quite pleased with the composition of this piece, and the compositing with him and the water worked well.

This shot also gives you a better idea of the changes the model under went last night.

During 5 minutes talking to Peter on the phone (before running out the door on an improved date with Lady R), I tweaked the "generic" Sauropod into this okay Brachiosaurid. Now I'm not claiming this is done by any stretch. If anything it is only the beginning for this poor guy. However for a 5 minute remodelling effort he isn't half bad.

Expect lots of updates on him and the forest in October.

Another of my huge priorities is the completion of my Squalodon (way to Glendon on the ID!) for Dr. Fordyce. Sadly this has been delayed by the good doctor and my own schedules being polar opposites (or rather exactly the same working hours). Until I get him to examine my whale with his technical expertise I can not really proceed past this point.

I'm wondering if perhaps another smaller dolphin would interest him, and possible a detailed sea floor (including shellfish based on fossils from the layers this guy was found in)?

My biggest conflict (and regret) has been how The Tyrannosaur Chronicles have been suffering in my palaeo-art shift. Sadly I just don't have the time or energy to focus on both equally, and thus Traumador (with his current lack of probable monetary or professional payoff) has become secondary.

I do love the character, and I will be sticking with him (thanks to my many confidantes who have been pressuring me not to kill this key outlet for my child like tendencies), but perhaps not at the same rate he enjoyed in 2008.

His return trip to Canada has taken about 4 months too long, and it is only 3/4 done at moment... fortunately as of his next two posts he will FINALLY be leaving Drumheller (for now) I may get re energized by his adventures in Calgary and beyond...

The key Prehistoric Insanity creators of Traum have made me sit down and with them (over skype) and start scripting out Traum's upcoming NZ adventures. We're wondering if this will help the rate at which he gets through adventures...

Though let us know your thoughts. Has Traum's trip to Canada been enjoyable (despite its length)...

With all the work put into some of his return to New Zealand adventures it'd be sort of a shame to quit now. Though there are a lot of photos that need to be taken in the next 2ish months before I leave, for this is to happen. So the script needs to be completed soon!

Peter has been toying with the idea of making another movie (possibly a Skinwalker themed project) I'm not sure I can get into this creative outlet anymore.

Movies are a LOT of work both in making and putting together. At our level of production (aka no budget) the results are nothing spectacular, and will almost certainly not get us any paid gigs...

So I wonder these days if such efforts are worth my while... Especially given how my Palaeo-art is approaching (but not quite at) professional levels...

I do intend on working on Delta Patrol heavily in the new year, especially while me and Peter are in the same town for February. Perhaps through this effort my interest in movies will return. I'm just not sure at moment though.

What is an ADD artist to do with his limited time?

5 comments:

davidmaas said...

Wow, that composited sauropod looks great! So does the Jurassic landscape. My first thought: great moonlight reference. Then I read that its cg.
You sound a bit frustrated with your results, and there is indeed a gap to professional work. Then again, I've just purchased a book and the graphic is - well, shoddy. If your goal is animation / film-making then you have to acknowledge that there is a lot of material to learn and master: temporal composition, story-telling (even if only formal), lighting and camera work - all on top of 3D skills such as modeling, texturing, lighting, rigging, animation, etc. which all require there own expertise. As long as your learning curve feels steep, be happy.
If you want to define your goal from the back-side - ie. the end product - then grab one of your images and render it out in layers... then photoshop it into something printable. Paint it, collage it, whatever you feel it needs. Just be aware that result and skillset are two different goal sets approaching the same point from two opposing directions.

As for Traumador, perhaps he can evolve as well, taking on new aspects of informative communication or paleo-spokesman. Whatever keeps your fun factor maintained.

Anonymous said...

Here are my opinions about this post-

1. First of all, I love the Jurassic Forest! It's a HUGE feat and I'm, not surprisingly, impressed!

2. The Sauropod looks Great, so there should be NO stress with the quality of the CGi.

3. Traumador has certainly been an enjoyable experience to read. As interpreted by my youthful, energetic, and enthusiastic comments, I LOVE the blog!

4. As for his Albertan adventures, I can't say I dislike it, for it would be a flat out lie. Despite the time between each post, I am not annoyed, disappointed, nor surprised that you are having a lot of trouble with time management. Certainly, the distance and your schedule makes the adventure a miracle. So, I understand completely.

5. As for your film efforts, I believe that is a good way to spend some of your time, if you feel compelled to. Despite the lack of public recognition, some of the Prehistoric Insanity's films have become classics and are enjoyable.

6. And, finally, to sum this all up, I will be blunt and relate you to a workaholic. Before you snap at me, think about it. You're Stressed out, we can tell!! Most of your posts are rants. Maybe you've made TOO MANY commitments and have got SO much on your plate, that the fact you keep this all up is a MIRACLE!! Dude, take my advice and just take a VACATION!!! You need to just chill and take a LONG break from at least several commitments for awhile and just enjoy yourself and maybe take a walk or something.


My Point? Get off your butt and off the Computer and enjoy yourself outside of the Blogosphere! Trust me! You Need It! :) Spend some time with "Lady R." You have a life to live!!!!

Dinorider d'Andoandor said...

Definitely you are not only a weapon of mass imagination. It's just so much on the to-do list for so little time! isn't it?

Albertonykus said...

The sauropod and the forest are very impressive!

I love Traumador's blog and his adventures! We're getting to see a lot of your wonderful CGI creatures in his recent Canadian adventure, too, which is great! Keep it up!

And I have to second Raptor Lewis's sixth comment.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Albertonykus. ;)