Apr 18, 2010

Ichthyosaur Live Blogging 2

My live blogging sort of continues, but yet doesn't...


Due to a chaotic evening schedule I wasn't able to get posts up the way I'd planned.
`
First thing I did was plop my now "complete" Shonisaurus into his water environment.

Though the ocean setting he is in is among my best, I don't claim to have created it tonight. This is all lighting and settings from my previous ocean projects. I simply stuck him into them.

Next came shading him.

This is where his current shader is sitting at. I decided to go with something different from modern whales and sharks. Though light on the bottom and dark on top I went with a middle layer.
Not sure I entirely like it. Let me know your thoughts.

However due to the power of my previous ocean work he can be made to look awesome.

If I just wanted to phone it in, I could call it quits tonight. However I'm not sure I want to, as I've always wanted to do a proper tribute to Betsey Nicholls (the passed away discoverer of the giant Canadian Shonisaurus in BC).
So tune in tomorrow when I resume on this guy, and get into some attempts at serious detail modelling.

3 comments:

Albertonykus said...

Your ocean projects are always among your best (at least that's what I think). Looking forward to seeing this one as it progresses!

Weapon of Mass Imagination said...

I agree with you completely...

Making convincing water environments have been an obession of mine since I started seriously working in 3D. So it has had a good solid decade of work put into it. The Dinosaurs are only just starting to catch up in terms of R&D and TLC.

Dinorider d'Andoandor said...

Congrats Craig!

those Shonisaurus pictures look really good